Thursday 6 November 2014

ANOTHER THREE BAGS WASHED

DAY FOUR - Possibly the final wash? I hope!!
I didn't intend to go on washing EVERY day but a very warm and blowy day which is perfect for drying has forced me to do just one more three-bag lot!


Here's the result of yesterday's three bags - a whole table full of clean wool, most of which will be usable I think.

A START ON THE SECOND BAG (i.e. the second alpaca)
As I got down to the bottom of the first bag I found what seems to be the whole saddle - across the back - and while it looks fine underneath, the top is - oh dear!!! - just a mass of sticks and seeds and dirt and general muck! 
They do love rolling around in the dust, particularly under trees, and I guess that's where they've picked up all this stuff. And we mustn't forget, they've had TWO years to collect it all!
I don't think it's going to be at all usable unless I can manage to snip a layer off the top. 
I'll give it a try later and report progress.

              The second bag has provided quite a bit of reasonably clean fleece - thank Heavens! I've                                            only taken one washing-bag full out of it so there's still lots left.

                 Here's the amount of washed fleece I have already - still with today's three bags to come. 
                                              Looks like enough for a doona to me!!

CLEAN UP
       Okay - once I've put this last lot out to dry in the sun and wind, it'll be time for a big clean-up.
                I'll put all the towels I've been using through the washing machine and 
                   with a bit of luck, that should get rid of all the grimy water that's been 
              through it in the last few days. A wipe of all the outside of machine and trough - 
                                    as well as floor - and then it may be time for a small break. 
                                                              Is it wine o'clock yet? It could be!




No comments:

Post a Comment